April 20, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Boys stand in front of a memorial for the victims of the July 22, 2011 attacks near the cathedral on the fourth day of the terrorism and murder trial against mass killer Anders Behring Breivik (via Reuters.com)

Oslo, Norway

Boys stand in front of a memorial for the victims of the July 22, 2011 attacks near the cathedral on the fourth day of the terrorism and murder trial against mass killer Anders Behring Breivik (via Reuters.com)

April 19, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Anders Behring Breivik at the start of the third day of proceedings in the courthouse. His defiant closed-fist salute has been the subject of speculation (via guardian.co.uk)

Oslo, Norway

Anders Behring Breivik at the start of the third day of proceedings in the courthouse. His defiant closed-fist salute has been the subject of speculation (via guardian.co.uk)

March 9, 2012

Norway: Anders Behring Breivik charged with terrorism and murder - video

Norwegian prosecutors indict Anders Behring Breivik on terror and murder charges for killing 77 people in a bomb and shooting rampage on 22 July 2011. The confessed mass killer is unlikely to go to prison as prosecutors consider the rightwing extremist to be psychotic, and seek a sentence of involuntary commitment to psychiatric care instead of imprisonment (via The Guardian)

March 4, 2012
Norway killer Anders Behring Breivik wants first interview with foreign TV
The gunman who killed 77 people in twin attacks in Norway wants to give his first interview to a foreign television channel before his trial opens in April, his lawyer had said.
Attorney Geir Lippestad told Norwegian tabloid Verdens Gang (VG) that he had advised his client Anders Behring Breivik against giving any media interviews because “it is not wise to speak out before the trial”.
"But Breivik has maintained that he would like to be interviewed by a foreign television channel," Lippestad said.
The 32-year-old right-wing extremist, who was declared by psychiatrists last year to be criminally insane, has not spoken to the media since his deadly rampage last July.
Numerous Norwegian and foreign media outlets have expressed an interest in interviewing Breivik in the high-security Ila prison near Oslo, where he is being held pending the opening of his trial on April 16.
"It’s true that at this point he has a specific foreign media outlet in mind but it doesn’t mean that a deal has been reached," another of his lawyers, Vibeke Hein Baera, told AFP. (via Telegraph)

Norway killer Anders Behring Breivik wants first interview with foreign TV

The gunman who killed 77 people in twin attacks in Norway wants to give his first interview to a foreign television channel before his trial opens in April, his lawyer had said.

Attorney Geir Lippestad told Norwegian tabloid Verdens Gang (VG) that he had advised his client Anders Behring Breivik against giving any media interviews because “it is not wise to speak out before the trial”.

"But Breivik has maintained that he would like to be interviewed by a foreign television channel," Lippestad said.

The 32-year-old right-wing extremist, who was declared by psychiatrists last year to be criminally insane, has not spoken to the media since his deadly rampage last July.

Numerous Norwegian and foreign media outlets have expressed an interest in interviewing Breivik in the high-security Ila prison near Oslo, where he is being held pending the opening of his trial on April 16.

"It’s true that at this point he has a specific foreign media outlet in mind but it doesn’t mean that a deal has been reached," another of his lawyers, Vibeke Hein Baera, told AFP. (via Telegraph)

January 31, 2012
Germany pays compensation to victims of neo-Nazi cell
The German government on Monday said it has begun giving out compensation payments to victims of a neo-Nazi cell suspected of committing multiple crimes, including at least 10 murders and two bomb attacks over a seven-year period.
A spokeswoman for Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger said the government had already received several applications, and that some victims had already received payments of between 5,000 and 10,000 euros ($6,600 and $13,200).
The spokeswoman said the ministry aims to approve the applications in an “unbureaucratic” manner so that victims will not have to give detailed accounts of their suffering in order to be compensated.
The “National Socialist Underground,” a three-member neo-Nazi cell, was uncovered in November. Investigators believe it was behind the murders of nine shop owners of Turkish and Greek origin and one policewoman between 2000 and 2007.
The group is also suspected of carrying out two bomb attacks in the western city of Cologne in 2001 and 2004 and a number of armed bank robberies. Twenty-three people were injured in the bombings. (via Deutsche Welle)

Germany pays compensation to victims of neo-Nazi cell

The German government on Monday said it has begun giving out compensation payments to victims of a neo-Nazi cell suspected of committing multiple crimes, including at least 10 murders and two bomb attacks over a seven-year period.

A spokeswoman for Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger said the government had already received several applications, and that some victims had already received payments of between 5,000 and 10,000 euros ($6,600 and $13,200).

The spokeswoman said the ministry aims to approve the applications in an “unbureaucratic” manner so that victims will not have to give detailed accounts of their suffering in order to be compensated.

The “National Socialist Underground,” a three-member neo-Nazi cell, was uncovered in November. Investigators believe it was behind the murders of nine shop owners of Turkish and Greek origin and one policewoman between 2000 and 2007.

The group is also suspected of carrying out two bomb attacks in the western city of Cologne in 2001 and 2004 and a number of armed bank robberies. Twenty-three people were injured in the bombings. (via Deutsche Welle)

January 25, 2012
Norway mulls one-man hospital for killer: report
Norwegian health authorities may be forced to build a one-man hospital for terrorism suspect Anders Behring Breivik if a court finds he should be placed in psychiatric care, according to a media report.
Staff at the high security Ila prison have taken strict measures to keep Breivik apart from other inmates since his incarceration there in July after the dual terrorist attacks that left 77 people dead.
State-appointed specialists have previously found Breivik to be criminally insane, meaning he will be placed in psychiatric care unless that decision is overturned on appeal.
But none of Norway’s existing psychiatric institutions are considered anywhere near secure enough to house the 32-year-old right-wing extremist, newspaper VG reports.
According to VG, health authorities are examining the possibility of constructing a miniature hospital within the confines of Ila prison, where Breivik would stay on as the sole patient. (via The Local)

Norway mulls one-man hospital for killer: report

Norwegian health authorities may be forced to build a one-man hospital for terrorism suspect Anders Behring Breivik if a court finds he should be placed in psychiatric care, according to a media report.

Staff at the high security Ila prison have taken strict measures to keep Breivik apart from other inmates since his incarceration there in July after the dual terrorist attacks that left 77 people dead.

State-appointed specialists have previously found Breivik to be criminally insane, meaning he will be placed in psychiatric care unless that decision is overturned on appeal.

But none of Norway’s existing psychiatric institutions are considered anywhere near secure enough to house the 32-year-old right-wing extremist, newspaper VG reports.

According to VG, health authorities are examining the possibility of constructing a miniature hospital within the confines of Ila prison, where Breivik would stay on as the sole patient. (via The Local)

December 21, 2011
Norway: my son is worst terrorist since WWII - Jens Breivik

The father of Norwegian right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in twin attacks in July, says his son is the “worst terrorist” since World War II, in an interview released on Wednesday.

Jens Breivik, 76, a retired diplomat who lives in the south of France, told German news weekly Stern that he last had contact with his son about six years ago by phone but that he now wanted to visit him in prison.

"I want to look him in the eyes. Perhaps I am in a position to arouse feelings in him," he told Stern in comments published in German.

"He is the worst terrorist since the Second World War. He killed 77 innocent people and isn’t even showing remorse," he added in an interview.

Breivik, who divorced Anders’s mother when he was one year old, said they did not have much of a father-son relationship and had no common interests. But he indicated he felt a sense of guilt.

"Probably all that wouldn’t have happened if I had looked after Anders more," he added.

Behring Breivik killed a total of 77 people on July 22nd, most of whom died when he embarked on a shooting spree on the island of Utøya, some 40 kilometres north-west of Oslo. (via The Local)

December 15, 2011
Liège attack: Belgian police find body in killer’s shed
Police in Belgium have found a woman’s body in a shed belonging to a gunman who went on the rampage in the centre of Liege on Tuesday.
The body was found with a bullet wound to the head, say Belgian officials.
Nordine Amrani launched his attack with guns and hand grenades in a busy marketplace in Liege, killing three people there and himself.
Police say a 75 year-old woman earlier identified as one of the dead is still alive in hospital.
About 125 people were wounded, five of whom are in intensive care, including the woman.
The body found at the killer’s property was that of a cleaner, reported to be 45 years old, who worked for one of Amrani’s neighbours. (via BBC News)

Liège attack: Belgian police find body in killer’s shed

Police in Belgium have found a woman’s body in a shed belonging to a gunman who went on the rampage in the centre of Liege on Tuesday.

The body was found with a bullet wound to the head, say Belgian officials.

Nordine Amrani launched his attack with guns and hand grenades in a busy marketplace in Liege, killing three people there and himself.

Police say a 75 year-old woman earlier identified as one of the dead is still alive in hospital.

About 125 people were wounded, five of whom are in intensive care, including the woman.

The body found at the killer’s property was that of a cleaner, reported to be 45 years old, who worked for one of Amrani’s neighbours. (via BBC News)

December 15, 2011
Norway: confessed terrorist writing in prison

A defense attorney for confessed terrorist Anders Behring Breivik says he’s working on a manuscript while in custody. Breivik, meanwhile, has now been granted access to newspapers, radio and TV after being held in solitary confinement since his attacks on July 22.

“He’s writing about how he will continue his struggle,” defense attorney Vibeke Hein Bæra told P4 News. She said it was “a bit unclear” whether it will be a continuation of the more than 1,000-page manifesto he released online before launching his attacks, or whether it will become a book.

Bæra said Breivik had “been looking forward” to having access to media and “being able to orient himself on what’s happening in society. At the same time, his main focus is on what he’s writing.”

Breivik has been declared insane by two court-appointed psychiatrists, and may be transferred from prison to a psychiatric institution. It remains unclear whether any publishing company would print or distribute his work. (via Views and News from Norway)

December 8, 2011
Norway’s PM says deadly attacks changed him
Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview published on Sunday that the July killing spree by a right-wing extremist that left 77 people dead had changed him profoundly.
"The attack has become part of my identity. I value democratic values today more than before — freedom of speech, the freedom to be able to be an active politician," he told Bild am Sonntag in comments published in German.
He said those values were attacked on July 22nd, when anti-immigration extremist Anders Behring Breivik set off a bomb at Labour government offices in Oslo and then embarked on a shooting massacre at a Labour youth summer camp on an island near the capital.
"Whenever I feel sorry for myself, I recall that my concerns are very small, they are nothing compared to those of the victims," the Labour prime minister said.
He said he had “not the slightest need” to see Behring Breivik to discuss his motives.
"He killed people in my office, people whom I knew well. My wish is to leave it up to the Norwegian justice system," he said.
Prosecutors on Tuesday declared the 32-year-old criminally insane when he carried out the deadly rampage after two psychiatrists who examined him concluded that he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. (via The Local)

Norway’s PM says deadly attacks changed him

Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview published on Sunday that the July killing spree by a right-wing extremist that left 77 people dead had changed him profoundly.

"The attack has become part of my identity. I value democratic values today more than before — freedom of speech, the freedom to be able to be an active politician," he told Bild am Sonntag in comments published in German.

He said those values were attacked on July 22nd, when anti-immigration extremist Anders Behring Breivik set off a bomb at Labour government offices in Oslo and then embarked on a shooting massacre at a Labour youth summer camp on an island near the capital.

"Whenever I feel sorry for myself, I recall that my concerns are very small, they are nothing compared to those of the victims," the Labour prime minister said.

He said he had “not the slightest need” to see Behring Breivik to discuss his motives.

"He killed people in my office, people whom I knew well. My wish is to leave it up to the Norwegian justice system," he said.

Prosecutors on Tuesday declared the 32-year-old criminally insane when he carried out the deadly rampage after two psychiatrists who examined him concluded that he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. (via The Local)

Liked posts on Tumblr: More liked posts »